We recently had a customer reach out and ask, “In the spring and summer, my electric bills are out of control, but I can’t live without my AC. How can I save money this summer with my air conditioning system?” Since this is one of the more common customer questions asked, we wanted to share our answer.
The U.S. Department of Energy reports that Americans spend $11 billion a year to cool their homes. There are many things you can do to keep your costs down. Here are some tips:
- Windows – Use window treatments and curtains to block light and keep heat out.
- Thermostat – Set your thermostat to 78 degrees. This is the ideal temperature to balance comfort and cost.
- Ceiling Fans – Using ceiling fans will allow you to raise the temperature setting by 4 degrees with no impact to your comfort level.
- AC Checkup – The regular maintenance of your air conditioning system ensures it is not overworking.
- Lights – Replace old light bulbs with cooler running ENERGY STAR-rated lighting.
- Appliances – On really hot days, don’t use the oven. Your air conditioner is fighting the heat.
- Air Seal – Caulk any cracks or openings that allow warm air into the home. Replace any damaged weather-stripping around doors and windows.
- Upgrade – If your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, you can save 40 percent or more by upgrading to a new, more energy-efficient air conditioning unit.
Wayne Price Heating & Air Conditioning has over 35 years experience in Waxahachie, Texas and the surrounding area. If you would like to talk more about saving money this summer with your air conditioning system, or need more information, please contact us.