Now that summer’s heat is dying down and autumn’s cooler temperatures are arriving, there are some things you must do for your HVAC system. Doing these things will help ensure your home remains comfortable throughout the transitioning weather and well into the winter months too.
There are 5 things you should do:
- Change your system’s air filter so it’s clear and free from the dirt, debris and bacteria it’s captured over the summer. This is something you should do every 30 – 90 days so now is the perfect time for it.
- Update your thermostat’s settings since temperatures are cooling off. If you haven’t installed a programmable thermostat, consider doing so because this makes it easier to manage when it’s time to change seasons.
- Schedule HVAC maintenance, which is something you must do twice a year. A professional technician will come out to check your system’s parts, making sure everything is running properly; change the refrigerant, if necessary; and replace your air filter, if you don’t want to do so yourself.
- Continue monitoring humidity levels, understanding excessive moisture in the air is problematic. Therefore, you want indoor humidity at a healthy, comfortable level (between 30 – 50%). Otherwise too much causes mold growth and dust mite infestations while too little causes dry skin and hair.
- Check your outdoor landscaping to ensure your HVAC unit is free of debris. If there’s any overgrowth, trim it back so it’s two feet away from your unit. Also clear away any fallen leaves or tree branches.
If you need any help preparing your HVAC system for fall, contact us. We’re happy to help!